WordPress is an open source content management system (CMS) that people use to publish information, blog posts and articles. It is one of the most powerful and the easiest website and blogging content management system that exist today. Here are 5 Great WordPress Tips for Beginners:
1. Schedule blog posts for the future:
Most bloggers follow a publishing schedule, they either post once a month, once a week or once a day. Word press allows you to schedule posts at a particular date and time so you do not have to be at your computer when your post goes live. Here is how.
· In word press backend, go to edit screen for the post you want to schedule.
· Look for a box titled publish’ in the top right page where there is an option that reads publish immediately’
· Click the text edit’ next to publish immediately’ and choose the date, month and time you wish to your post to be published the click OK.
· The publish immediately’ text changes to schedule for’ with the date and time you have chosen.
2. Change your blog post and page URLs:
Word press creates URLs for your posts or pages but at times, you may need to adjust. Some of the common instances you will need to change URLs include:
1. If the URL of your post or page contains special characters such as *, @, & or %. These characters makes it difficult for search engines to read and can also prevent your page from loading
2. If your page or post title is too long and if it contains words that are not optimized for search. Search engines prefer short URLs and the high ranking keywords should appear at the beginning of the URL.
If the URL of your post does not comply with the above requirements, then there is a need to change it. Here is how to do it in word press.
· Go to the edit screen for the page or post you want to edit in the Word press backend.
· Below the title, click the edit’ button next to permalink. If instead of the edit’ button you see a button saying change permalink’, click it then click post name’ radio button on permalink settings’ page. Finally click the save changes button’ and go back to the page you want to edit and you will see the edit’ button.
· On clicking the edit’ button, a text box will appear where you can alter the URL. Remove the special characters as well as any other words that may hurt your search engine ranking, click OK then update’ or publish’ to save the changes. Continue reading 5 Great WordPress Tips for Beginners